2012 Spring Trip Map Overview (can be scrolled and zoomed)

Here is an overview of our trip:

View Wildflower Tourist 2012 Spring Trip Map and Location List in a larger map

Our 2012 Spring Trip

We are back from our visit to The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the surrounding National Forests and other natural areas in North Carolina and Tennessee.

We take nature's beauty as a witness of God's love for us, and are happy to share that beauty with you in our photographs and descriptions of what we saw.

Please checking back as we fill in missing entries.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Monday, April 23, 2012- White Oak Sink Trail

I hiked the Schoolhouse Gap Trail and the White Oak Sink Trail a number of years ago looking for Yellow Ladyslippers, which were at one time reported to be abundant on the Sink Trail. This year I heard rumors that the Yellows were no longer there, and that the season was early, and any Yellows would have already finished blooming anyway.

When I didn't find any near where I knew there were Pink Ladyslippers, I was determined to go all the way to the 'Sink' and see if any were there.
I walked up a steep trail along the mountain's edge and came to a high spot where I could see that the trail went down a couple hundred feet and kept going down.. Knowing that it would be a long hike up and then down again on the way back, I decided that I didn't really need to go any further. On the way back, I found where some Yellows were growing, but not in bloom. There were other wildflowers to see and photograph, though, so I thoroughly enjoyed the hike.

A fence keeps horses from going down the White Oak Sink Trail.
Even though there were no Yellow Ladyslippers in bloom, these 2 Pink Ladyslippers made my day!

Clintonia Lily in Bloom.


Galax with bloom stalk.

Partridge berry bloom in bud. Two flowers come out together and make one  berry

Partidge berries.






No comments:

Post a Comment