2012 Spring Trip Map Overview (can be scrolled and zoomed)

Here is an overview of our trip:

View Wildflower Tourist 2012 Spring Trip Map and Location List in a larger map

Our 2012 Spring Trip

We are back from our visit to The Great Smoky Mountains National Park and the surrounding National Forests and other natural areas in North Carolina and Tennessee.

We take nature's beauty as a witness of God's love for us, and are happy to share that beauty with you in our photographs and descriptions of what we saw.

Please checking back as we fill in missing entries.

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tuesday, April 17, 2012- The Rufus Morgan Trail.

To get to this trail, I had to drive the RV up a winding gravel one lane road around the side of a mountain for 2 miles. Letty had to hold on tight.

The parking area for the trailhead was an area large enough to turn around and park off the road. Several trucks went up the road while I was on the trail including a rollback truck that was parked along the road further down the hill. The rollback came back down the hill with a forest service bulldozer on it and went down to the main road.

Letty was able to see a couple of Trillium from the RV as she waited. I was trying to follow the trail for the full 1 mile round trip, but after a while I decided to come back the way I came because it was unclear where the trail was going and I wasn't sure how long it would take to complete it. A loop trail therefore turned into an 'out and back' trail.

There were many wildflowers on the trail and many chances to stop and take photos. As I was hiking back down the trail, I noticed something moving near the ground in the plants. A black butterfly was climbing up stems and flapping his wings. He appeared to be drying them as if he had just crawled out of his chrysalis. I stopped to take photos of him, and he continued to crawl and wave his wings. I stood still and he climbed up my shoe and then my pant leg. I thought he might 'ride' down the trail with me, but suddenly he launched himself into the air and flew off the hill out into the treetops.  I believe it was his first flight, and apparently I helped! Should I call him Wilbur, or Orville?
Rufus Morgan Trailhead Parking.
Starting up the trail.

Squawroot, a parasitic plant.
Bellwort.

Red trillium.

Toothwort.

A Yellow Violet. [Yes they come in different colors!]

I did not cross this 'bridge' when I got to it; I turned around here.
The black butterfly on the ground.
The black butterfly climbing up my leg.

No comments:

Post a Comment